It appears that many of my dependency issues with perl may be the result of sloppy RPM spec files from the Fedora community. No offense intended to them either.
In my RPM bootstrapping of this LFS build, most of the RPM spec files I carefully wrote myself, so any problems with them are purely mine.
With perl, there are just far too many perl modules. I wrote the base perl spec myself but I was not about to write a spec file for each and every perl module that I need, there are literally hundreds of them. So for perl modules, I took source RPMs from Fedora 18.
It appears that many of the BuildRequires in the Fedora spec files are bogus, meaning they are not actually needed to either build the package or run the package test suite.
I apologize to the perl community for coming to the wrong conclusion about this.